Friday, July 6, 2012

Geek Media: geek and sundry is my new obsession

So recently while re-discovering and catching up on Felicia Day's "The Guild", inevitably led me to her new YouTube Channel, called "Geek and Sundry".

It's genius.

Geek and Sundry launched in April 2012 and is the brainchild of "new media and geek guru" Felicia Day. It is a premium YouTube channel with several independent shows produced by the group.

It really does cater to a niche community that likely wouldn't otherwise get much play-time in the mainstream world with fantasy and sci-fi book club show "Swords and Lasers" or celebrity board game show ran by Wil Wheaton of Star Trek fame called "TableTop".

Granted though, with the incredible popularity of The Big Bang Theory and Glee which seems to largely embrace, even celebrate, the geek-dom that it represents, it likely won't be long before such shows as the above mentioned will become mainstream in our minds and hearts.

Suddenly it's cool to be a geek.

Anyway, I spent entirely too much time this week wasting my life watching various episodes of all the shows. Episode 6 of Swords and Lasers interviewed George R.R. Martin and went chest-deep into the topic of his books series A Song of Ice and Fire and there was so much there worth absorbing.

But Wil Wheaton's TableTop is just downright entertaining and I can't help but feel I'm taking way more away from it than I probably should. Not only is it giving me a terrible urge to go down to Snakes & Lattes downtown, but it's introducing me to games I'd never have considered. The first episode, where they played "Small World" was amazing if only because of how easy and often you can screw over your opponent in just 9 moves. It was probably their most entertaining episode.

And of course, "Settlers of Catan" ... always entertaining to watch people scream in horror as they steal their precious ore or wood.


Anyway I sign off this little geeky discovery with this equally geeky thought: It is amazing how often the British Top Gear uses music from the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

They used the last 30 seconds of "Forth Eorlingas" (heard and pictured below) and then "The Treason of Isengard" (the drum beat and male soprano part) during a segment just a half an hour ago and I couldn't help but look up from writing when I heard it.

I'm bad like that. I've watched the movies and listened to the soundtrack to the point that I probably have the majority of those notes from the music memorized and can also name the scene that corresponds with the song without even knowing the exact name of the tune (which largely gives away what part of the movie the song is attached to). But then again, the music is just that epic, and just that good.


No comments:

Post a Comment